When choosing a watering can, gardeners have several factors to consider, from the purpose of use to the size of the area to be treated. It is important to direct the water to the specific area where the plant is growing when watering. Dripping on foliage can cause burnt areas, and the root system can be over-stressed: it becomes exposed and dry, causing the flowers to become sick.
Simple watering can help avoid such problems. In the seventeenth century, a tool called a "watering can" first appeared in gardeners' homes, and since then, their design has changed little, but there have been some innovations. Today you can find large containers of several liters and mini watering cans, with the help of which it is very easy to water violets and other stunted flowers properly. You will learn how to choose your garden watering cans in Bubgo guide.
Types of Watering Cans
In any hardware store, you can find a variety of metal watering cans of different designs and sizes. The main criterion that can distinguish them is the purpose of the tool.
A. Indoor watering cans
These watering cans are designed for watering potted plants and other vegetation. Their compact size characterizes them: the volume of such devices does not exceed 0.25-0.5 gal (1-2 liters). A small watering can sit conveniently on a windowsill or bedside table next to a pot.
B. Gardening Tools
The most common iron watering cans are common gardening tools for watering beds, shrubs, and young trees. Their volume is usually no less than 1.3 gal (5 liters) and no more than 2.6 gals (10 liters). These tools have a wide neck with beveled edges to prevent water from splashing on them when carried. Some models are supplied with an additional funnel for the neck and a special nozzle.
These watering cans can no longer be called tools because their only function is to decorate the interior of the house or garden. You can buy a ready-made decorative watering can, or you can decorate an old metal pot if it is worn out. Usually, these watering cans are filled with soil and planted with flowers. They are painted and varnished. The device must fit in with the rest of the room.
What kind of materials are made into Watering Cans?
On the shelves of modern stores, there are tools made of different materials.
Ceramics are durable and do not react with water (regardless of their pH). There are vacuum tools that are filled with water and then a finger is used to cover the top hole so that, according to the laws of physics, the water is retained inside. When the plant needs watering, the finger is pushed back, and the liquid gushes out of the lower hole. The only drawback of this product can be considered the fragility of the design, as the ceramic breaks into pieces upon impact.
Metal showerheads do not break when they fall and are very durable, but they will rust over time if they are made of inferior materials. They come in many varieties on the market. There are colored enamel models and simple tin models. They are popular because of their affordable price.
Plastic watering cans rank first in popularity because they are inexpensive, high quality, do not break when dropped, and do not rust. In addition, manufacturers offer an unprecedented variety of shapes and colors. These are almost always molded products, designed without seams or joints, thus avoiding leaks. The only caveat is that these tools must be kept from the sun, as the thin plastic can warp and discolor in the sun.
Additional Accessories - Spray Nozzles
When buying a garden sprayer, an experienced sales assistant will advise you to purchase additional spray nozzles right away. Of course, not all customers pay attention to these tips and realize that they should listen to the sales clerk only when faced with watering. On the one hand, you don't need a nozzle to water a large shrub. On the other hand, a steady stream of water will moisten the soil and thus nourish the plants.
On the other hand, you can't do without a nozzle if you want to water young plants or seedlings. The most suitable complement in this matter is a nozzle. Each hole has a maximum diameter of several millimeters. The soil does not overflow with this fine watering, and the plants do not get any damage.
A steady water flow will wet the soil and thus nourish the plants. On the other hand, you cannot do without sprinklers if you are watering young plants or seedlings. The most suitable supplement in this matter is a nozzle. Each hole has a maximum diameter of several millimeters. The soil does not overflow with this fine watering, and the plants do not get any damage.
Garden sprinklers have a wide range of nozzles. Every gardener can find the most suitable additional accessory - as long as they know the exact diameter of the spout.
The important thing to remember is that the spout must be clamped before use. If the attachment is pulled off during irrigation, it could ruin the plant by exposing its roots to the harsh, powerful water flow.
It is best to choose nozzles with removable filters; they are fairly easy to remove from the overall structure and wash off. Nozzles are not too expensive for the price point, and it is best to stock up on a few at a time, as they are quite small and easily lost.
There are many different nozzles used to have a variety of different attachments. The standard five nozzles are particularly useful.
1. Nozzles with an upward curving screen - for wetting tall crops.
2. Nozzle with the screen pointing directly upwards - for medium-sized watering plants.
3. For watering fertilizers.
4. For watering in wells.
5. For shallow drip irrigation.
Those who have several watering cans of different sizes, types, shapes, and designated nozzles in their arsenal of tools don't even remember the discomfort of watering with a hose or sprinkler.
Plastic or Metal: Which Is Better?
On relatively small plots, this watering equipment remains indispensable. Garden watering cans are ideal for watering flowers, shrubs, and trees.
All watering cans have a specific design. Therefore, it is best to choose one for a specific purpose. The plastic ones are best for gardeners who want a lightweight, inexpensive, but less durable one. Metal models have a long life but require regular maintenance. Gardeners often combine several watering heads to make the watering process as easy as possible.
Advantages and Disadvantages:
Although the most popular is the plastic watering can, metal has advantages.
1. Strength and durability. Metal stands up well to any mechanical damage, drops, or bumps. It withstands sudden temperature changes perfectly and has a long life span.
2. Decontamination. Zinc containers automatically sterilize the water used to water plants, while copper containers have a sterilizing effect. However, you must know that drinking water from these containers is dangerous.
3. They are easy to repair. Any gardener or florist who owns a metal watering can know how easy it is to repair. All it takes is a small welding machine and a suitable piece of material.
4. weight. While lighter tools are easier to use, more weight can be advantageous. Even strong winds won't topple such a watering can, and small children or pets won't drop it on themselves.
However, every material has its disadvantages, and metal is no exception.
1. Weight. Not everyone can lift and carry an iron watering filled with water. This is especially true for the elderly or teenagers.
2. Corrosion. If not properly cared for and stored, the bottom, walls, and other tool parts can rust and thin.
3. Price. Metal is always more expensive than plastic. The minimum price for small decorative watering can be 300-400 rubles. The maximum price for large gardening tools reaches 3000-4000 rubles.
A. Advantages of plastic spray cans
1. Lightweight: easy to use for teenagers, disabled people, and the elderly, even if they are huge.
2. color and design: different colors and interesting designs - the material can be easily colored and modified during the production process, allowing manufacturers to use their imagination without restrictions and surprise consumers with new models.
3. Solid construction: Gardening cans are more durable and prevent possible leaks due to the absence of seams and joints.
4. Vandal resistance: Modern materials are perfectly resistant to harmful external elements and do not corrode.
5. Low price: low prices allow anyone with financial means to buy watering cans, but the main thing is not to buy low-quality fakes.
The disadvantage of this product is low-temperature resistance: plastic equipment can deform under the influence of both high temperatures and severe frosts.
Important note: To check the quality of plastic directly in the store, you need to hold the product up to the light and look at it carefully. Cloudiness or streaks may be a sign of cheap cottage goods. What are the characteristics of metal watering cans?
B. Advantages of metal irrigation garden sprinklers
1. High durability: The metal cannot be damaged by dropping onto hard surfaces.
2. Stainless steel: the weight can be both an advantage (it won't be knocked over by wind or cats/dogs) and a disadvantage (it is difficult to transport).
3. Susceptible to corrosion: This can occur if the equipment is not maintained correctly.
4. Preventive effect: copper and zinc in iron watering can automatically produce sterilization and disinfection and electrify the water
5. High price: The price is due to the high strength of the product, its durability, and the possibility of repair in case of leakage.
There is no one right choice of material. By studying the products available on the market and their main characteristics, everyone will find their favorite.
C. How to choose?
Once you understand the main types of watering cans and their special features, you can choose the right model.
It is important to check the watering can carefully. The body of the product should not have any cracks, even the smallest gaps.
When choosing a metal device, it is important to check the seams carefully. It is well known that poorly welded seams can produce small leaks.
Careful consideration should be given to the available nozzles.
1. All green plants, such as dill or parsley should only be watered with loose water nozzles. Higher water flow rates will only damage the bed and kill the plants.
2. To avoid looking for additional attachments, you are better off looking for models with multi-attachment nozzle kits.
3. Special attention should be paid to the construction of the water spout. It should be positioned as close to the bottom of the liquid container as possible.
4. If you want to know the exact amount of liquid you are using, you need to choose a model with a scale on the housing.
5. However, the color of the watering can not be too dark, so for convenience, a white, beige, or yellow spout is best.
6. The watering volume can be an important feature when choosing the right model. 2.6 gal (10 liters) watering cans are only suitable for healthy gardeners. Models up to 2.1 gals (8 liters) are the best for mature gardeners.
For watering hanging outdoor planters, the smallest containers should be used. They are easy to scoop up and can be lifted above their height.
Most of the time, the older generation cultivated vegetable and orchard gardens. Since they are not athletic, it is best to consider a watering can model less than 1.3 gals (5 liters). And you can place large barrels around the plots to collect rainwater so you can always go and collect the liquid for irrigation.
Kits consisting of several watering cans and nozzles have become very popular recently. They vary in size and volume, the smallest suitable for watering potted plants, while the medium and largest ones are used for gardening.
Why Choose a Metal Watering Can
Highly robust and heavy. A product made of metal weighs twice as much as a plastic product (when considering the same volume). Due to their weight, steel models are not suitable for all gardeners.
The advantages of this material include.
1. long service life: if properly cared for, metal products can last for years or even decades.
2. Unaffected by weather: Steel parts do not react to frost or heat. Leaving them out in the hot sun or sub-zero temperatures is no problem.
3. Cleaning effect: The composition of high-quality metal tools with copper and zinc are antiseptic and bactericidal to water.
4. When buying a metal watering can, you should be prepared in advance to take care of this tool. If the container is not dried, corrosion will form at the bottom over time. Consider also that metal is more expensive than plastic. Prices for quality steel watering cans start at $20-$30.
Some gardeners are advised to avoid metal watering cans that are welded together. Such designs have a greater risk of leaks because they depend directly on the quality of the seams.
A. Modern Indoor Watering Can
The watering can hold 0.4 gals (1.5 liters) of water and stainless steel. The special coating of the material prevents it from rusting during use. The model has a removable water sprinkler for even watering. A threaded spout connection allows for easier storage.
1. Low weight (for metal structures).
2. Small and easy to store.
1. Insensitive to sunlight.
Click here to buy
B. Fashion Indoor Watering Can
The Hemisphere watering can have a capacity of 0.4 gals (1.5 liters) and is made of stainless steel. The manufacturer describes this model as universal because it is suitable for handling garden and horticultural plants. The model has a standard weight of just over 1 pound. The design includes two handles - top and side - for comfortable watering.
1. Rounded appearance
2. High-quality material (stainless steel)
3. Comfortable and easy to use.
Click here to buy
C. Long Spout Watering Can
The watering can hold 0.4 gals (1.5 liters) of liquid and is stainless steel. It features a colorful design with a rounded appearance and can be customized with other colored forms. The design is weatherproof and can withstand direct sunlight.
1. Bright and unique colors.
2. High-quality material (stainless steel).
3. Large spraying surface.
Click here to buy
D. Indoor Long Spout Watering Can
With a capacity of 0.35 gals (1.3 liters), this is a popular product from a Chinese manufacturer. The elongated spout for precise watering is a distinctive feature. The water flow can be adjusted by the grip of the handle and the tilt of the tool.
1. ergonomic handle.
2. Large opening at the top for pouring water.
3. High-quality material (stainless steel).
4. Stylish appearance design.
Click here to buy
Things To Note When Purchasing
The following criteria are the most important.
Stores sell garden watering cans with a volume of 0.08-2.6 gal (0.3-10 liters) - these variants are considered the most common. The choice is based on the size of the garden and the gardener's physical ability. 2.6 gal (10 liters) containers are ideal for large jobs because they require frequent refilling.
Most models are supplied with a nozzle by default, but it is unnecessary. You will need a powerful jet that waters directly from the spout to water shrubs and trees. Seedlings and flowers need a sprayer to reduce the force of the water flow and disperse it. If required, purchase additional nozzles - make sure the diameter of the nozzle matches the diameter of the model's spout.
Markings. Some models have special markings that indicate the amount of water to be poured. This option is useful when fertilizing plants. The solution requires a certain amount of water, measured accurately.
C. Design Features
The successful design of watering cans has two distinct features - the spout is near the bottom, and the handle is not placed directly over the watering hole. The first factor relates to the ease of watering - the higher the spout, the more unused water is left at the bottom. The second factor is responsible for the speed at which water is pumped. If the handle blocks the approach to the hole, it will take more time and effort to fill it.
It is impossible to purchase a generic watering can to do all the tasks. Therefore, experienced gardeners have several models in their arsenal of tools in varying quantities. For small flower beds, 0.13-1.3 gal (0.5-5 liters) are used. 2.6 gals (10 liters) containers are used for shrub care and other large-scale tasks.
D. Integrity of the watering can body
It is best to check all seams and connections at once in the store. It is worth asking the seller to refill the tool with water if possible. There should be no dents, cracks, or other defects in the body.
E. Volume and weight
If an iron container is difficult to lift even when empty, it will not be possible to lift it after adding water. Careful consideration should be given to how much volume is needed to water comfortably. When the watering can be used to apply special fertilizers to vegetables and fruits, you can choose the model with a dividing line marked on the inside.
E. Where does the water spout start?
It is best to start almost at the bottom. This way, you don't have to empty the heavy spout upside down, and you have fewer trips to the faucet. There is no one right solution. Some people will like the convenience. Others will like the aesthetics of the tool. The main thing is to make sure the customer is happy with their choice and that the showerhead will provide them with years of service.
F. Primary Purpose or Function
Every child is familiar with the watering can as a garden item. This gardening equipment consists of a hollow container and a spout through which water is distributed evenly to the desired area for watering. It is used for watering garden plants and vegetable gardens, which not all machines can do. The device is suitable for cottages and private homes.
The design of the watering can is very simple. The container can be presented in any shape and volume. The spout can also be made in many different shapes, such as reduced or conical. And the handle of the product does not usually change its appearance. The handle is located on the top of the container on models with larger capacities, while smaller models are equipped with a side handle.
Regardless of what they say about modern technological advances, standard watering can have several advantages that make it the most important thing in the home.
1. Its construction allows you to measure out the right amount of liquid to apply to the bed. This ensures that the water is used economically and is especially friendly to plants.
2. With the garden waterer, you can use it for watering all kinds of plants, even those that are hard to reach with the improved hose.
3. The watering can is more fluid than its watering counterpart. There is no need to attach it to a pipe, and filling it is not so difficult.
Garden watering cans: features, types, and selection advice
Every plant needs qualified and high-quality watering. This process is very time-consuming and responsible for the plant's growth as much as possible. Modern technological breakthroughs offer a large number of automatic devices that ensure smooth watering and make life easier for every gardener and the gardener. But this requires a steady supply of electricity and a mandatory water supply. Unfortunately, not every plot can have such equipment, so that common watering can remain the most common gardening tool.
In our bubgo.com store, big discounts and promotions are held - when buying gardening supplies, we offer to provide gifts!