This is an indispensable tool in relatively small garden areas. Garden watering cans are ideal for watering flowers, shrubs, and trees. You will learn more about Watering Can for Plastic VS Metal by Bubgo's article.
So Plastic or Metal: Which is Better?
Advantages and disadvantages of plastic watering cans
1. lightweight: easy to use for teenagers, the disabled, and the elderly, even with their large size
2. different colors and interesting designs - this material can be easily colored and modified during the production process, allowing manufacturers to use their imagination without limits and to surprise consumers with new models.
3. Solid construction: Gardening cans are more durable and prevent possible leaks due to the absence of seams and joints.
4. Vandal resistance - modern materials are perfectly resistant to harmful external elements and do not corrode.
5. low price allows anyone with financial means to buy watering cans, but the main thing is not to purchase low-quality fakes.
6. Disadvantages of this product - low-temperature resistance: plastic tools can be deformed under the influence of high temperatures and also by severe frosts.
Important: To check the quality of plastic directly in the store, hold the product up to the light and examine it carefully. Mud or streaks may indicate a fake.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Metal Watering Cans
1. High durability: Metal cannot be damaged by dropping onto a hard surface.
2. The weight of stainless steel can be an advantage (won't be knocked over by the wind, cats/dogs) and a disadvantage (difficult to transport).
3. High corrosion resistance: Because it is made of stainless steel, the watering can is resistant to corrosion.
4. preventive effect: copper and zinc in iron watering can automatically produce sterilization and disinfection and electrify the water
5. The high price is due to the high strength of the product, its durability, and the possibility of repair in case of leakage.
There is no single best solution for your choice of material. By studying the product market and its main features, everyone is sure to find their favorite.
Watering Can types and Features
Waterings can be classified in different ways.
According to their purpose.
1. Gardening watering cans are indispensable for watering small areas (greenhouses or seedbeds). They can be equipped with a sprinkler for sprinkler irrigation.
2. Domestic plants are watered in pots. These models are more compact. They can be placed on a windowsill next to the flowers with a capacity of about 0.13-0.4 gal (0.5-1.5 l). Sometimes indoor watering cans were used as interior decoration, in which bouquets of dried flowers or flowers were placed. Although, originally, decorative models were designed for this purpose.
Classification by material.
A. Watering can material - Metal
Sturdy but heavy. Children and the elderly will not find it easy to handle, especially women. Not to mention the need to sometimes scoop water from a bucket and lift a watering can fill with water to almost chest level. Improper maintenance can cause rust to form on the bottom. In terms of price, a 2.6 gal (10 liters) steel model will cost about $80, but that's not the limit - a painted metal watering can cost over $200.
B. Watering can material - plastic
Plastic ones are 2 times lighter than metal ones, but they will become unusable faster. If metal shower sprays rust over time, plastic shower sprays will start to splinter and disintegrate before your eyes. It's best not to leave them on the floor - plastic can be quite brittle.
One of the main selection criteria is quantity. It is chosen individually based on ability and need. Different people can lift different weights. The best choice for girls is a 1.3 gal (5 liters) or slightly smaller watering can and a 2.6 gal (10 liters) model for men.
The Main Function of the Watering Can
This gardening equipment consists of a hollow container and a spout through which the water is distributed evenly over the necessary areas for watering. It is used to irrigate garden plants and vegetable gardens, which not all irrigation equipment can perform. The device is suitable for cottages and private homes.
The design of the watering can is very simple. The container can be presented in any shape and volume. The spout can also be made in many different shapes, such as reduced or conical. And the handle of the product does not usually change its appearance. The handle is located on the top of the container on models with larger capacities, while smaller models are equipped with a side handle.
Regardless of what they say about modern technological advances, standard watering can have several advantages that make it the most important thing in the home.
1. Its construction allows you to measure out the right amount of liquid to apply to the bed. This ensures that the water is used economically and is especially friendly to plants.
2. With a garden waterer, you can use it for watering all kinds of plants, even those that are hard to reach with an improved hose.
3. The watering can is more fluid than its watering counterpart. There is no need to attach it to a pipe, and filling it is not too difficult.
All the gardening products you need for a beautiful and stylish garden can be purchased at the bubgo.com online store.
Technical Features of Watering Cans
So far, garden equipment manufacturers offer their customers models of watering cans made of different materials - metal and plastic. Each species has some advantages and some disadvantages. Before choosing one or the other design, it is necessary to know in detail what each representative of watering cans is.
The general name of metal watering cans implies that different metals are used in their production.
It can be galvanized steel or plain iron. They are easy to distinguish, just look at the product offered with the naked eye. Galvanized models have a natural shine. On the other hand, manual water jets made of iron sheets are always painted as a protective layer against corrosion.
But unfortunately, such a treatment does not completely protect the equipment from rusting. After a while, the connection between water and metal can cause the spray head to leak. The most vulnerable area in a metal shower spray head is at the seams. Despite the strong welds, the first holes mostly occur in these areas. However, if this problem occurs, the metal construction can be repaired by making an extra seam.
Another disadvantage of metal sprinklers is their weight. A unit made of metal already has a lot of mass, and if you pour water into it at its highest level, the watering can become physically unmanageable.
A plastic shower spray head may seem better than a metal one, but this is only at first glance. Many gardeners often face problems with warped watering devices, and all because of the excessive weight of the water and fluctuating climate temperatures.
Different varieties of plastic are used in the production of these products. These can be polypropylene or polyethylene. Polypropylene is exposed to external negative factors. Deformation of this material even occurs in direct sunlight. This means that they should not be used to prefer polypropylene watering cans. On the other hand, polyethylene is the best quality material and is more reliable in terms of technological advancement.
Next, you should pay attention to the size of the watering can. Of course, the model is chosen individually for each person, but as a universal watering device, which all family members will use, it is worth noting that the volume.
It is very easy for a healthy and physically strong man to hold a 2.6 gal (10 liters) container in his hands, but women are better off using a model with a maximum capacity of 1.3 gals (5 liters) or less. The most suitable diameter of the water spout should be 1 inch (2.5 cm). Otherwise, the water pressure will be too high, and watering will be sloppy.
How to Choose a Watering Can?
After knowing the main types of watering cans and their characteristics, you can choose the necessary model.
It is necessary to check the watering can carefully. The body of the product should not have any cracks, even the smallest seams
When choosing a metal device, it is important to check the seams carefully. As we all know, there are small leaks where the welds are not tight.
It is necessary to check the available spray heads, especially carefully
1. All green plants, such as dill or parsley should only be watered with loose water nozzles. Higher water flow rates will only damage the bed and kill the plants.
2. To avoid looking for additional attachments, you are better off looking for models with multi-attachment nozzle kits.
3. Special attention should be paid to the construction of the water spout. It should be positioned as close to the bottom of the liquid container as possible.
4. If you want to know the exact amount of liquid you are using, you need to choose a model with a scale on the housing.
5. However, the watering color can not be too dark, so for convenience, a white, beige, or yellow spout is best.
The tank's volume is an important feature when choosing the right model. 2.6 gal (10 liters) watering cans are only suitable for healthy gardeners. For mature gardeners, models up to 1.3 gals (5 liters) are the best.
For watering hanging outdoor planters, the smallest containers should be used. They are easy to scoop up and can be lifted above their height.
Kits consisting of several watering cans and nozzles have become very popular recently. They vary in volume and size, the smallest suitable for watering plants indoors but medium and large - for working in the garden and vegetable garden.
What Else Should I Consider When Choosing a Watering Can?
1. Any garden watering can be sturdy, have a wide neck and a spout that extends to the bottom.
2. If you plan to dilute nutrients in your watering can, it is worth buying a model with measured graduations so you can stick to your "recipe."
3. You will only need a watering can with a sprayer for spraying plants.
But perhaps the best advice for those who decide to buy a watering can is: "Personalize your watering can!". This is indeed true. We all have different tastes and like different plants. Therefore, watering cans will be different. Which model do you prefer?
How to Buy Additional Accessories
When buying a garden hose, experienced dealers recommend buying extra heads directly.
Of course, not all buyers pay attention to these tips, and only when faced with watering do they understand that they should listen to the salesperson. On the one hand, a spray head is not needed for watering large shrubs.
A steady stream of water will moisten the soil and thus nourish the plant. On the other hand, a spray head must be used if young plants or seedlings are to be watered. The most suitable supplement in this matter is a spray head. Each hole has a maximum diameter of 1.5 mm. The soil does not spill over with this fine watering, and the plants do not get any damage.
Garden sprinklers have a wide range of nozzles. Every gardener can find the most suitable additional accessory - provided they know the exact diameter of the spout.
The important thing to remember is that the spout must be clamped before use. If the attachment is pulled off during irrigation, it could ruin the plant by exposing its roots to the harsh, powerful water flow.
It is best to choose nozzles with removable filters; they are fairly easy to remove from the overall structure and rinse clean.
In terms of price, nozzles are not considered expensive items, and it is best to store more than one at a time, as they are quite small and easily lost.
When Did the First Watering Cans Appear?
The first drip irrigation vessels appeared in the 17th century and were not very different from today's vessels: the same container with a handle and a spout. Watering can become popular as a tool for gardeners and as an attribute of a young girl or girl. Look at famous artists' paintings - "Girl with a Watering Can" by O. Renoir or "Young Woman in a Blooming Garden" by V. Gilbert.
Other artworks are depicting spraying pots: V. Gilbert's Caring for Flowers, D. R. Knight's Chrysanthemums, J. G. Kilburn's Watering Flowers, Still Life in a Garden Shed, and S. Tutunov's Still Life with a Spraying Pot. Still "Life" by P. Konchalovsky, etc.
"Where to buy watering cans? In our bubgo.com online store, you can find a variety of high-quality watering cans for gardening supplies at different price points."